West Bank: PA officer arrested by Israel in army raid in Jenin

Mohammad al-Tubasi (Facebook)

MEE Staff

Middle East Eye  /  May 24, 2022

Israeli troops attack house of wanted Palestinian with anti-tank shells before making the arrest.

Israeli forces arrested a Palestinian Authority (PA) security officer and wounded three more people in a fresh raid in the occupied West Bank city of Jenin on Tuesday. 

Mohammad al-Tubasi was detained outside his home in the Al-Hadaf neighbourhood.

Israeli troops surrounded the house, attacked it with anti-tank shells and called on Mohammad al-Tubasi’s nephew, Iyad al-Tubasi, to hand himself over. 

After a brief field interrogation, Iyad was released but Mohammad was taken into custody.

Mohammed, a former prisoner, is an active member of the Palestinian Preventive Security force, which coordinates with the PA’s leadership over security matters in the West Bank.  

During the Israeli raid, armed fighters who live in the city responded with fire, leading to gunfights in several areas near the Jenin refugee camp.

The Palestinian Ministry of Health said three people were wounded as a result of the Israeli raid.

The Israeli army confirmed it was conducting operations in Wadi Burqin, near the camp. No Israeli soldiers were hurt. 

Jenin refugee camp is a stronghold of Palestinian resistance. There are at least 50 fighters in the camp wanted by Israel and the total number of fighters is probably much higher. 

It is also the hometown of two Palestinians who carried out two separate deadly attacks in March and April inside Israel that left a total of eight people dead. 

For months, the Israeli army has been ramping up intelligence and military operations there to root out the fighters. 

In January, Middle East Eye visited the camp and spoke with residents and some of the fighters, who said they carry guns to defend themselves against Israeli raids and attempts to arrest them.

Israeli forces have killed at least 18 people in the city this year, including fighters, civilian teenagers and prominent journalist Shireen Abu Akleh.

Eyewitnesses, including MEE correspondent Shatha Hanaysha, said Abu Akleh was shot and killed by an Israeli sniper while she and a group of journalists were covering an army raid. 

Israel has denied responsibility and said it will not conduct an investigation into the killing, which has drawn international calls for accountability.