Al-Jazeera / August 21, 2023
Israeli army has set up roadblocks around Hebron/Al-Khalil, questioning all Palestinians as manhunt for attacker launched.
An Israeli woman has died and a man has been seriously wounded in a shooting attack on a car on Route 60 near the city of Hebron in the southern occupied West Bank.
Israeli first responders and soldiers administered CPR at the scene but failed to revive a 40-year-old woman who has not been identified yet, local media reported. Reports also indicate that a young girl, the woman’s daughter, was present at the scene but was unharmed.
Another Israeli, a 39-year-old man who was giving the woman and her daughter a ride, described as being in serious condition, has been transported to the trauma ward of Soroka Hospital in Bir Sheva.
Speaking after the attack, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said that the attack, along with several recent ones committed against Israelis, has been funded and encouraged by Iran.
“We are in the midst of a terror attack,” Netanyahu said at the site where Monday’s shooting took place. “This terror attack is encouraged, guided, funded by Iran and its satellite states.”
Netanyahu said that Israel would employ measures to respond.
The Israeli army has set up roadblocks in the area as it searches for the suspects in Monday’s attack, and has shut down Hebron entirely.
According to Israeli Army Radio, the attackers fired 25 bullets – 22 of which hit the settlers’ car directly.
Al-Jazeera’s Harry Fawcett said about 30 Israelis have been killed this year.
Route 60 is the main north-south artery that runs through the occupied West Bank. Many far-right religious settlers live in illegal settlements in Hebron, which is a flashpoint for violence, Fawcett said.
This follows another shooting attack in the West Bank last week, in which two Israelis died. That incident happened in Huwara, south of Nablus and was thought to have been carried out by a Palestinian attacker.
“We’re getting reports of a pretty major military operation to try to find the shooter or shooters in the Huwara incident,” Fawcett said, speaking from West Jerusalem.
The occupied West Bank has seen heightened violence this year, the most in nearly two decades, with the Israeli army launching several high-profile incursions into Palestinian refugee camps.
“More than 180 Palestinians have been killed in Israeli raids,” Fawcett said, referring to this year to date. “There has also been a growing number of settler attacks on Palestinian communities as well, and a growing number of Palestinian attacks against Israelis too.”
In a press statement, the Palestinian Islamic Jihad group said the shooting is “a natural and legitimate response to the crimes of the occupation and its settlers’ aggression against our people”.
Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem said the Hebron operation “comes within its natural context in confronting the religious war against our sanctities. The [Palestinian] resistance can strike anywhere and at any time, despite the state of security alert imposed by the occupation.”
Meanwhile, in a separate incident, an Israeli soldier was injured when an explosive device exploded near an Israeli military vehicle near Lake Tiberias, located in the southern occupied Syrian Golan Heights region.
In another development, the Israeli army said that that Iron Dome shot down two rockets coming from Gaza.
This came a day after the Israeli military also said that it shot down a Gaza drone over the area of the settlements of Alumim.
Also on Monday, Israeli forces raided the Palestinian town of Beita, near Nablus, as they searched for the attackers who carried out an attack on Saturday that killed two Israelis in nearby town of Huwara.
Eight Palestinians were shot and injured during the raid in the occupied West Bank, one of them in a serious condition, according to the acting governor of Nablus, Ghassan Daghlas.
“The shootings… show that the Israeli army has been given the green light to shoot live bullets indiscriminately,” Daghlas told Al-Jazeera.
Yusuf Bani Shamsah, a 33-year-old from Beita, said he had been returning home from work when he saw heavy clashes taking place between the Israeli forces and Palestinian locals. He later rushed to help an unnamed relative who was among the injured.
“I found him on the ground and he had a head injury, the blood was pouring out,” Bani Shamsah said. “The blood is still on my hands.”
SOURCE: AL-JAZEERA AND NEWS AGENCIES
Fatah military wing claims responsibility for Hebron resistance attack
Middle East Monitor / August 22, 2023
The military wind of Fatah, the Palestinian faction which controls the Palestinian Authority and is led by Mahmoud Abbas, claimed responsibility on Monday for the resistance attack in the occupied West Bank city of Hebron/Al-Khalil, Ynet News has reported.
The resistance attack by Al-Aqsa Martyrs’ Brigades took place on Route 60, a road constructed on Israeli-occupied Palestinian territory for use by illegal Jewish settlers. A 40-year-old settler was killed and another was seriously wounded in the attack.
“This operation, which marks the 54th anniversary of the arson attack against Al-Aqsa Mosque, comes as a natural response to the occupation’s crimes and arrogance,” said Al-Aqsa Martyrs’ Brigades. “The operation comes to prove that we are sticking to our arms, which are considered our strategic option to end the Israeli occupation.”
All of Israel’s settlements and Jewish settlers are illegal under international law. Contrary to the narrative pushed by Zionists and their supporters, resistance to a military occupation such as Israel’s in the West Bank is legitimate under international law.