Middle East Monitor / February 14, 2022
Israel soldiers yesterday demolished the home of a Palestinian man accused of killing an Israeli settler late last year, reported Wafa news agency.
A large number of Israeli occupation forces raided the village of Silat al-Harithiya, northwest of Jenin, and closed all entrances and roads leading to the home of Mahmoud Jaradat, who is being held in an Israeli jail. The home was then demolished.
According to the Palestinian Red Crescent, 17-year-old Mohammad Akram Abu Salah was shot dead while dozens were wounded during the Israeli raid. Eleven of those wounded were admitted to hospital; three are said to be in a “serious” condition.
Mahmoud al-Saadi, the director of ambulance services in Jenin, told Wafa that the Israeli occupation forces prevented ambulances from entering Silat al-Harithiya to treat and transport the injured.
He added that the Israeli forces, backed by bulldozers, had stormed the village from all sides, while a number of soldiers positioned themselves on the roofs of nearby houses before storming Jaradat’s home.
Israeli forces use home demolitions as a policy against the families of Palestinians it accuses of attacking Israelis. The policy has been condemned by UN experts and human rights groups as a form of collective punishment.
According to the Palestinian National Information Centre, Israel has forced Palestinians living in East Jerusalem to demolish more than 1,900 homes since it occupied the city in 1967.