Home NIEUWSARCHIEF Israel bombs Gaza hospital, 4 journalists among 8 dead

Israel bombs Gaza hospital, 4 journalists among 8 dead

TNA Staff

The New Arab  /  August 25, 2025

Israel continued its bombardment across Gaza overnight, bombing Gaza City, Khan Younis and Nuseirat refugee camp in central Gaza.

An Israeli air attack on aid seekers in central Gaza reportedly killed at least one person and injured six.

Another 11 people have died of starvation over the past 24 hours, including two children, as Israel’s restrictions on aid push Gaza deeper into famine.

Malnutrition has now claimed the lives of 300 people, including 117 children, since the war started on 7 October 2023, according to the Gaza health ministry said this morning.

Meanwhile, Israel’s military chief Lt. Gen. Eyal Zamir has again called on Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to back down on plans to occupy Gaza City and agree to the ceasefire proposed by Qatar and Egypt last week.

“There is a [captive] deal on the table, we need to take it,” he was quoted as saying during a visit to the Haifa naval base by Israel’s Channel 13 News.

“The Israeli military brought about the conditions for a deal, now it is in Netanyahu’s hands,” he reportedly said.

Netanyahu’s decision to press ahead with plans to occupy Gaza City is opposed by many in the country’s defence establishment, including Zamir. More than 600 former security and military chiefs earlier this month issued a plea to US president Donald Trump to force Netanyahu to end the war.

At least eight people were killed in an Israeli attack on southern Gaza’s main hospital on Monday morning, according to the Gaza health ministry.

The ministry said the fourth floor of Nasser Hospital in Khan Younis was attacked in a ‘double tap’ strike’, with one missile hitting the facility followed by a second targeting emergency responders

Reports say that a number of journalists were among those killed in the attack.

Eleven die of malnutrition in Gaza in past 24 hours

Another 11 people have died of starvation in Gaza over the past 24 hours, including two children, the local health ministry said this morning.

Malnutrition has now claimed the lives of 300 people, including 117 children, since the war started on 7 October 2023.

Israel’s military chief Lt. Gen. Eyal Zamir has urged Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to agree to the ceasefire proposed by Qatar and Egypt last week, according to Israeli media.

“There is a [captive] deal on the table, we need to take it,” he was quoted as saying during a visit to the Haifa naval base by Israel’s Channel 13 News.

“The Israeli military brought about the conditions for a deal, now it is in Netanyahu’s hands,” he reportedly said.

Netanyahu’s decision to press ahead with plans to occupy Gaza City is opposed by many in the country’s defence establishment, including Zamir. More than 600 former security and military chiefs earlier this month issued a plea to US president Donald Trump to force Netanyahu to end the war.

Hamas last week agreed to a ceasefire proposed by Qatar and Egypt, which would see it free around half of the remaining captives in exchange for a 60-day truce, a surge of aid into Gaza, and the release of some Palestinian detainees.

Netanyahu has not responded to the proposal and instead pushed ahead with plans to displace hundreds of thousands of Palestinians from northern Gaza and besiege Gaza City.

At least 20 people have been killed in Israeli attacks in Gaza on Monday, medical sources tell Al-Jazeera Arabic.

Israel continued its bombardment across Gaza overnight on Monday, bombing Gaza City, Khan Younis and Nuseirat refugee camp in central Gaza.

An Israeli air attack on aid seekers in central Gaza reportedly killed at least one person and injured six.

____________

Israeli strike on Gaza medical complex kills 10, including 4 journalists

Middle East Monitor  /  August 25, 2025

Ten Palestinians, including four journalists and a firefighter, were killed and several others wounded Monday in an Israeli strike on the Nasser Medical Complex in Khan Younis, southern Gaza Strip, according to Gaza health authorities and eyewitnesses, Anadolu reports.

According to Anadolu correspondents, the Israeli military targeted the top floor of the emergency building, known as the “Al-Yassin” floor.

Earlier, the Gaza Health Ministry said in a statement that eight people were killed and several others were injured in the attack.

The ministry added that the Israeli military hit the fourth floor of one of the complex’s buildings in two airstrikes, noting that the second strike occurred as rescue teams arrived to evacuate the wounded and recover the dead.

Official Palestine TV reported that among the deceased were its cameraman Hussam al-Masri, while Qatari channel Al-Jazeera confirmed that its photographer Mohammad Salama was also killed.

A medical source cited by Anadolu also confirmed the death of photojournalist Maryam Abu Daqqa.

Photojournalist Moaz Abu Taha was also killed in the Israeli strike targeting the hospital.

The Palestinian Civil Defense said in a statement that a fire engine driver was killed during the strike and that seven others from his team were injured while attempting to rescue victims and recover bodies.

_____________

Four journalists among 15 killed in Israeli strike on hospital in Gaza, say health officials

William Christou

The Guardian  /  August 25, 2025

Deaths take to at least 192 the number of Palestinian journalists killed in the conflict since 7 October 2023.

Four journalists were among at least 15 people killed by Israeli strikes on al-Nasser hospital in southern Gaza, Palestinian health officials said.

The strikes on Monday killed Hussam al-Masri, who worked for Reuters, Mariam Abu Dagga, who worked for The Associated Press, the Al-Jazeera journalist Mohammed Salam, and Moaz Abu Taha from NBC. Another Reuters journalist, Hatem Khaled, was also wounded in the attack.

A video from the news agency Al-Ghad TV showed civil defence workers wearing bright orange vests and journalists struck while they attempted to rescue the body of Al-Masri, who was killed in an earlier strike. In the moments before their deaths, they raised their hands to shield themselves, but were quickly struck.

At least 192 Palestinian journalists have been killed since 7 October 2023, according to the Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ), more than the number who died globally in the previous three years. The CPJ said in August that Israel’s killing of journalists in Gaza was “a deliberate and systematic attempt to cover up Israel’s actions”.

There was no initial comment from the Israeli prime minister’s office nor from the Israeli military.

Dagga (33) freelanced for the AP since the Gaza war began, as well as other news outlets. She reported on Nasser hospital doctors struggling to save children with no prior health issues who were wasting away from starvation.

Al-Jazeera confirmed that its Salam was among those killed in the Nasser hospital strike. Reuters reported that Al-Masri, a contractor cameraman, was also killed. Khaled, a photographer who was also a Reuters contractor, was wounded, the news agency reported.

William Christou is a Beirut-based journalist, focusing on human rights investigations and migration issues