TNA Staff
The New Arab / August 8, 2025
Berlin will not approve any exports of military equipment that could be used in the Gaza Strip until further notice, the Chancellor has revealed.
The German government will not approve any exports of military equipment that could be used in the Gaza Strip until further notice, Chancellor Friedrich Merz said on Friday in response to Israel’s plan to expand its military operations there.
Israel’s political-security cabinet approved a plan early on Friday to occupy Gaza City, a move expanding military operations despite intensifying criticism at home and abroad over the devastating, almost two-year-old war.
Merz said it was Israel’s right to disarm Hamas and to seek the release of the Israeli captives.
“The German government believes that the even tougher military action in the Gaza Strip decided upon by the Israeli cabinet last night makes it increasingly difficult to see how these goals can be achieved,” said Merz in a statement.
“Under these circumstances, the German government will not approve any exports of military equipment that could be used in the Gaza Strip until further notice.”
Far-right allies in Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s coalition have been pushing for a total occupation of Gaza as part of his vow to eradicate Hamas militants, though the military has warned this could jeopardise the lives of remaining captives.
The release of the captives and negotiations for a ceasefire are Germany’s top priorities, Merz said, expressing deep concern over the suffering of civilians in the Gaza strip.
Germany’s parliament said in June that export licences for military equipment to Israel worth 485 million euros ($564 million) were granted between October 7, 2023 – the start of the war – and May 13, 2025.
________
Belgium summons Israeli ambassador over Gaza plans
TNA Staff
The New Arab / August 8, 2025
Belgium’s foreign minister on Friday summoned the Israeli ambassador citing Israel’s announced plan to occupy Gaza City and take military control of the Gaza Strip.
In a statement, the ministry said Belgium wanted to “express (its) total disapproval of this decision, but also of the continued colonization … and the desire to annex the West Bank,” adding that it will “vigorously advocate” for a reversal of this decision.
“Following the official confirmation by the Israeli government of its intention to encircle and then occupy Gaza City and take military control of the entire Gaza Strip, Foreign Minister Maxime Prévot has decided to summon the Israeli Ambassador,” it said.
_________
Israel should reconsider ‘wrong’ Gaza occupation plan: Starmer
TNA Staff
The New Arab / August 8, 2025
UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer on Friday asked Israel to reconsider its “wrong” plan to occupy Gaza City, as Tel Aviv gears up for an expanded offensive.
UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer on Friday asked Israel to reconsider its plan to occupy Gaza City, which he branded as “wrong”.
“This action will do nothing to bring an end to this conflict or to help secure the release of the hostages,” he said, warning that it “will only bring more bloodshed”.
The condemnation came hours after Israel’s military announced it will “take control” of Gaza City under a plan proposed by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and approved by his security cabinet.
Starmer’s UK government has become increasingly vocal in its demands for Israel to deescalate its war in the Palestinian territory, citing the catastrophic humanitarian crisis there.
Last week, the British leader pledged that London would formally recognise a Palestinian state in September unless Israel takes “substantive steps,” including agreeing to a ceasefire in Gaza.
In his statement on Friday, Starmer said Israel’s “decision to further escalate its offensive in Gaza is wrong, and we urge it to reconsider immediately”.
“Every day the humanitarian crisis in Gaza worsens and hostages taken by Hamas are being held in appalling and inhuman conditions.
“What we need is a ceasefire, a surge in humanitarian aid, the release of all hostages by Hamas and a negotiated solution.”
Starmer noted that the UK and its allies “are working on a long-term plan to secure peace in the region as part of a two-state solution”.
“But without both sides engaging in good faith in negotiations, that prospect is vanishing before our eyes,” he added.
“Our message is clear: a diplomatic solution is possible, but both parties must step away from the path of destruction.”










